September 23, 2008

Thinking About A Revolution

Obviously Web 2.0 offers the world of libraries a challenge; it's time for us to step up to the ballplate and really examine what we are doing, how we are doing it and maybe most importantly, why we are doing it.

I enjoyed reading the 5 recommemded articles, with the exception of 'More Powerful Ways to Cooperate' they gave me something to ponder over. My challenges to the articles were more based on practical experience and limitations due to the realitites of operating environments rather than issues with the writers ideas.

I think everything talked about in 'Better Bibliographic Services' could be done right here and right now! Let's give our patrons (note I don't use the word client, it's a term I hate) multiple choices of navigational methods, offer options to review and rank books and let's broaden our relevance rankings so patrons aren't solely reliant on browsing the shelves waiting for their next book to jump out at them!

Let's have us a revolution baby!

No comments: